Saturday, September 28, 2013

London Central

My second flight to London was set to leave at 2:30 AM of September 15.  Getting a sleep before an early morning flight was challenging for me. I forced myself to sleep in the middle of the day so I wouldn't be dozing off while on duty, but, I kept on waking up every after 1 hour :( Despite the not so good sleep, I managed to stay awake for the entire flight to London. I guess, the feeling of excitement played its role in waking me up.

I planned ahead before my flight. I asked for directions, search the internet for the landmarks and etc. I already expected that I would be doing sight seeing by myself since other crews would either stay in the hotel or go to Hounslow.  We arrived around past 8 AM (London time) of September 15. After checking-in and getting into my room, I immediately changed clothes, prepared my bag and went straight to the concierge to ask for a map.  My route for that day? LONDON CENTRAL.

I rode the bus to Hatton Cross station and bought and All day ticket. From there, I rode the Picadilly Line to Baron's Court where I transferred to District Line. Since I wanted to see the Big Ben and London Eye, I went down at Westminster Station. I was really awed that I instantly saw Big Ben while I was going out of the underground.  On that very moment, Big Ben was a reality and not something I am just seeing in pictures. Nothing could ever beat something you've seen through your very eyes.







London Eye was just on the other side of Big Ben. A lot of tourists (count me in there) was crowding the area - each trying to get a shot with those famous landmarks on their background.



House of  Parliament:

















Across the Parliament Square was St. Margaret's Church - Westminster Abbey or known as "the Parish Church of the House of Commons".









Westminster Abbey (one of the most important Gothic (Architecture) landmark in the United Kingdom. It was the Benedictine monks who first came to the site of Westminster Abbey. According to the abbey's website:

Westminster Abbey or - to use its formal name - the Collegiate Church of St. Peter, Westminster, is a ‘Royal Peculiar’. This means it is a free chapel of the Sovereign, exempt from any ecclesiastical jurisdiction other than that of the Sovereign.
 One of the not-so-distant past events held at Westminster Abbey was the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. 




Buckingham Palace was also on my list on the day I visited London Central. From Westminster Station, I rode the Jubilee line tube and get off at Green Park Station. It was just a short walk from the station to the Buckingham Palace.





Rain was unstoppable in the middle of the day. I lost the chance to see the Tower Bridge. I just rode the train to Bond Street so I could visit Oxford Street, a shopping area in London Central. I just visited Primark, Boots and M&S foodies. I bought a few things which I thought as essentials for my other layovers at Primark. Queue was crazy at first glance but when you're in there, line was moving faster than you've thought. My tip if you're planning to visit Primark: Go there as early as you could.


Getting around London Central was easy contrary to what I thought on my first time there. Landmarks was within reach via London Underground, just read the signs and you wouldn't get lost. Sight seeing slash ME time was not a bad idea. Sometimes, it was a good way to make you feel confident about your sense of direction and even independence. If I would be having another flight to London for the next months, I wouldn't mind traveling alone again :)




 Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

My Open Notebook Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos