Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Year in Heaven

It's been a year since I lost my close friend|professor| mentor in a tragic incident.
I would remember that one gloomy dawn. I woke up around 3 am and saw messages on my phone saying my professor was found dead. I could not believe on that message. I could not believe he was dead. I haven't even seen him for a year and then I would receive a news like that. Naturally, our instant reaction would be in form of tears, but my tears did not fall immediately. I was really in a state of shock. The news would not sink in.

It was a Sunday when I received that message but I had work and I was on a 9:00 am - 6:00 pm schedule. Before I went to the office, I attended the 7:30 am mass at Baclaran. While I was on my way to church, my tears would fall. It took hours before the news would sink in. I was exchanging messages with my college friends. At work, it was hard being so professional in that kind of situation. In a way, I wanted to blame myself for not spending time with him as much as I could. I was really busy when I started working and could not meet my friends as much as I could. I had little or no social life when I worked. OFFs were usually spent at home, sleeping or going to Church. I was guilty I didn't exert enough effort to arrange my schedule.

I was traumatized by what happened to him. I could not sleep alone in my room for so many months.

The last time I saw my mentor was 2008 and never in my mind that the next time I'd see him was the moment he was inside a closed casket. It was depressing. We were all devastated upon the lost of our beloved mentor. I owe half of my La Sallian life with my mentor. If not for him, I would not be receiving the Outstanding Thesis award. If not for him, I might have less 4.0s in my course cards. The TRUST and BELIEF he put on me would forever be remembered. He trusted my capabilities. He made me realized that our professors could also be our friends. It was not a long time ago that I ( in cooperation with Dave and with my other friends ) was arranging a despedida party for him. Fate could sometimes be cruel but I know he's with God right now, in good hands.

Sir,I would always remember the advice you told me: "The world never runs out of love Joanna." I pray that your first year in heaven would also be the first year in bliss. You would always be loved Sir.

Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

My Open Notebook Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos